I got a new yaya 2 days after the old yaya left.
I caught old yaya on Saturday, asked her to leave on Sunday, and interviewed and hired a new yaya on Tuesday. April 9 was a holiday so maybe that day doesn’t count. Still, it doesn’t hide the fact that I was blessed to find a new yaya quickly when many other mothers were still looking for one.
The last time I looked for a yaya, it took me half a day to find out. This time it took 2 days. I have been very blessed and lucky in finding maids so far.
As to why I can get a yaya so fast while others are still waiting?
1. I have a results oriented mindset.
If I need a yaya, I really NEED a yaya. I will not hee and haw about it anymore.
I will interview every candidate that comes my way regardless on who refers. I will go online and get my applicants on every Wanted Kasambahay facebook page.
My mother in law once told me, “Bonita, find a yaya who will not give me any problems. I don’t want a yaya who is mapili or maarte.”
She still has no yaya up until now.
2. I will hire on the spot.
After I set the interviews, I will talk to the yayas personally. I will tell them about the job and my rules. If they seem maarte or hesitant, I don’t hire them. But if they are okay with my policies, I hire on the spot.
No “Let me talk it other with my husband.”
If she is not okay, I pass. If she is okay, she starts that same day. That’s why recruiters love us. No wasting time.
3. I don’t scrimp on fees.
I paid more than php10,000 of agency fee from my last hire. I didn’t blink and complain that it was expensive. I paid for it after hiring yaya.
I didn’t pay minimum rates. I paid above minimum rates. The amount of money I pay yaya to take care of my child so I can work makes her worth her fee. So I don’t really have a lack of good options.
4. I’m actually a reasonable boss.
So when I lose a yaya, I don’t have a shortage of people to refer. They know that they won’t be embarrassed in linking us up. The last yaya stayed for a good 1.5 years and was able to get her eldest employed and got her two daughters to start schooling again. Not bad for someone who was kicked out of her house when she came in.
5. I’m open to agencies and recruiters.
They are my partners in finding a yaya. They help me find a yaya. I refer my friends to them when my friends are in need. So when I come a calling, they warmly welcome me.
I have compiled a list of questions to ask applicants this time around. I got my yaya on the first interview. Here are the questions I asked yaya during the interview. Hope it helps!
Questions in Tagalog because it’s catered for the yaya. These are some of the questions I used to interview:
• Love life and anak? Sino ang magaalaga?
• Anong kurso ang pinasok mo?
• Inimbita ka ng kapwa mong yaya na kumain sa labas habang nasa school ang alaga, ano ang gagawin mo?
FAMILY AND BELIEFS
• Close sa tatay at nanay? Ano ang trabaho nila?
• Siblings? Ano ang trabaho nila?
• Anong pinaka importante na tinuro sa iyo ng magulang mo?
• Nagsisimba ka ba? Saan?
• What do you like to read?
• Last book you read?
• Anong gagawin mo sa gabi pagkatapos ng trabaho?
• Bakit ka umalis sa dati mong amo?
• What food she can prepare for my baby to eat?
Pag gising ang alaga, ano ang ginagawa with the kids?
• Alaga dati? How did they react nang paalis ka?
• Anong naturuan mo sa bata?
*Read one page article*
• Anong pinaka mahirap na experience mo sa buhay?
• Pinagsabihan ka ni lola? Papano na?
• May pinagawa sa iyo na hindi sa job description yon? Ano yon?
• Cellphone use: When pwede mag cellphone?
• Ok lang ba may cctv sa kwarto ng bata para masdan din sa gabi?
• Ok lang ba sa gabi mag mall?
• Pag may party at kasama ang bata, ok lang ba kasama ka din?
• May pagkain ka bang hindi kinakain?
• Anong trabaho ang hindi mo masyadong gawin? Laundry and ibon?
• Pinaka malaking halaga nakita mo or nahawakan mo?
• May kasama kang nagnakaw, ano ang gagawin mo? Paano mo siya isusumbong?
SAVINGS & FINANCIAL MINDSET
• Sapat na ba ang sahod na inaalok namin sa iyo? Kaya mo bang ibudget yan?
• Naka pagvale advance or utang ka? Ok lang sa iyo na hindi pwede dito?
• Magkano ang pinaka malaki mong nabili recently? Magkano po yon?
• Sahod mo: saan mo gagastusin?
• 2 days off monthly? If ever how you want to schedule?
• We cannot accumulate day off ok lang ba?
• Pag day off, saan ka pupunta? Pamilya, kaibigan?
• Give occasion na na late bumalik sa dayoff? Ano ang nangyari? Ano ang ginawa mo?